Real world and make believe world

As a writer I spend a lot of time in a world that is more or less my creation.  I can write a scene where someone dies and then decide, oh no that is too sad, and change it.  It is a world that I love, I do really love writing.  And that control over events is part of the pleasure.  The real world does not look like that at all.

Most of us have limited control over the events that effect us in the real world.  We exist in a complicated atmosphere where people and events can cause tremendous impact but are not controllable.  Family is probably the best example of a world that is beyond our ability to control.  Anyone with children or grand-children will understand the limits we have in this world to make things happen the way we want.

After thought, I have decided I will devote more time to the make-believe world and hopefully write some interesting stories, and spend less time trying to understand why the real world seems to involve so much pain.

One of my favorite songs is "Good Night Irene" sung by Leadbelly.  Music more than anything else captures the sadness of life.  I hope my writing captures some of the joy.

Comments

Popular Posts