Boring?

The process of publishing a book is mostly just boring.  It usually takes me months to write a book, then it takes more months for the production aspect to be completed before it's published.  This involves cover design, numerous steps of editing and review, and finally the actual production (layout, back of the book material, file production).  So from beginning to end it can be six months.  During the majority of that time I'm just waiting. 

The writing part is enjoyable, with exceptions, and keeps me engaged.  The post writing is tedious.  The editing goes on and on.  The number of readings and changes can be hundreds.  I will re-read a book so many times that my brain starts to fog over; and yet, a mistake (or two) will still slip through.  I've had reviewers mention "typos" and wonder why a better job of editing did not occur.  The standard for errors in a book (from a readers point-of-view) is zero.  So a 75,000 word book cannot have one tiny mistake --that's a pretty high standard.  I have three people besides myself that will review, over and over, a book before it is published; and yet we do not catch everything.  How does that happen?

I've asked myself that question.  Part of it is the repetition.  If you keep reading a book over and over it is hard to have fresh eyes seeing the mistakes.  Plus the book is in constant revision.  So on the first edit review errors are found and corrected.  This is the stupid part; sometimes those corrections will create an error or typo.  All I can say is that I make a concentrated effort to reach the zero standard, but if you occasionally see a "typo" take pity on my tired eyes.

I titled this post "boring", because talking about the process of writing, and some of the associated frustrations, has to be boring to readers.  I apologize.  But now and then it seems to be the subject that is on my mind.  So I write a little about my world, boring or not.

⧫⧫⧫

Reader's reviews.  

Almost all of the reviews of my books are on Amazon and Goodreads.  Reviews are the vehicle that allows me to reach new readers.  Reader's have thousands if not millions of options when looking for a book.  Research shows that a critical part of that decision process is good reviews.  Fortunately most of my reviews on those sites have been positive. 

Recently The Bootlegger's Legacy reached a milestone on Amazon with the 100th five star review.  Total 5 star and 4 star reviews for TBL is 152 out of 181 reviews.  Most of the lower reviews reference language as an issue.  Often those reviewers did not finish the book but wanted to make a comment about objectionable words. I have always thought those reviews are helpful to me in that they alert anyone offended by certain words to stay away.

On Goodreads The Bootlegger's Legacy has 473 reviews and ratings.  317 of those are 5 star and 4 star.  Goodreads reviewers are supposedly tougher on authors than the Amazon reviewers.

If you have reviewed one of my books on Amazon or Goodreads, thank you very much.  

⧫⧫⧫

Updates.

Latest news is that Durango Two Step, the 4th Vincent Malone book, has been pushed back some.  For a lot of reasons, decided I had delayed this too long and it was time to finish Pacheco & Chino: Four Corners War--the third P&C book.  Currently that is the book I am writing--it's going very well (the wall I hit years ago has fallen!)--so probably sometime this summer Four Corners War will live.

Very excited about Santa Fe Mojo audiobook but there have been delays.  Probably some months before the audiobook is done; but have contracted to go forward after SFM and do an audiobook of Blue Flower Red Thorns.


Was all of this boring enough?

Comments

Popular Posts