Advertising--yuk!

This is a rambling post--that's a warning; not a song.

I sell books.  When I started this endeavor I thought I was going to be a writer.  An author of fiction books.  Books that would be swept up by hungry readers who found out about my great skills through some form of word of mouth; including wonderful reviews.  Well some years later I now realize I'm not an author, I'm a hustler.  And of course what I'm pitching to the unsuspecting is books.  So rather than the calm life of writing I have become a marketer--oh my god; how did this happen. 

The fantasy of most authors is to have a major publisher who handles everything; all you do is write books and receive checks.  Ha.  I'm a one-man band (actually there are a lot of people who help me; but when it comes to marketing I'm mostly on my own).  And unfortunately the common result of a one-man band it that the task that suddenly occupies your attention the most is the one for which you're the least skilled.  In my case; advertising.

I do promotions on Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, Goodreads and Bookbub.  All requiring different types of ads and copy.  I also run free book deals on various web sites but I'm cutting that back.  In some ways that was the easiest--don't have to be real smart to convince someone to take a free book.  So if free is out, how do I attract new readers?  Advertising.  There's that ugly word again.


This is an ad I recently ran.  I liked this a lot.  Dogs make me (and most normal people) smile.  So even if it didn't sell any books it made me smile and hopefully others too; which is a good thing.  But actually it worked pretty well.  I will use this again.  Kudos to me.


This is a Bookbub ad.  Sort of okay but not great.  Suppose to have a call to action on each Bookbub ad but I forgot.  Something like READ NOW.  Some of that stuff seems silly to me; and yet everybody who gives advice on book advertising says the same thing; have a call to action in your ad--I didn't.

Getting ready to start promoting the preorder for Fiction No More.  Publication is set for May 15th.

I like this, nice and simple.  However it could be too simple.  This is a Facebook ad so don't need a call to action because that is in the copy portion of the post. 


This is another Bookbub ad (yes, I know no call to action).  This ad got almost zero response.

I really believe at this point I'm spending more time managing marketing/promotion than I am writing.  Some days I think I'm getting better and then I will have a week where nothing works; and I can't tell you why all ads worked great one week and were a bust the next.


Haven't run this ad yet but will in a couple of weeks.  Who knows if it will work.

My guess would be that you were not interested in my book advertising, and definitely not interested in my whining; so, sorry.  Maybe for my next post I will have something more interesting on my mind that I can share; at least we can hope.

Thanks for being a reader.




Comments

Popular Posts